Friday, April 3, 2009

Taco Leftovers

We had leftover taco filling but no shells. My first thought was to do a taco calzone type thing. So I made a batch of pizza dough and started rolling it out, and then inspiration struck or maybe it was just laziness? Why would I go to the extra trouble of making individual bundles when I could just make a pizza?

I did and it was yummy. My dough recipe makes enough for two pizzas, so with the other half I made cinnamon twists from a recipe my sister-in-law suggested. I think making dessert sometimes helps leftovers not be so boring!

Here's my recipe (originally found at Money Saving Mom):

Pizza Dough
1 TBSP yeast
1 c. warm water
2 TBSP oil
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
2 1/2 c flour

Mix yeast and water, add other ingredients and knead for five minutes. Roll out half of the dough and form to pizza pan. Add taco-seasoned ground beef and shredded cheddar cheese. I cut off the excess dough and put it on top for a little extra crunchy. Yummy! The kids ate it up.

But their favorite were the cinnamon twists:

Cinnamon Twists
Cinnamon (to your taste..we like a lot!)
1/2 c. sugar
melted butter

Roll out remaining dough. The recipe said to cut the dough in strips, then brush each strip with butter, dip in cinnamon and sugar mixture, then place on greased cookie sheet, twisting from opposite ends.

Again being lazy, I rolled mine out, brushed with butter, sprinkled w/ cinnamon sugar, THEN I cut into strips and popped into a 375 oven for about 10 minutes. When they came out I once again brushed with butter and gave a second dose of cinnamony goodness. I think it cut down on the mess of brushing/dipping each strip on my counter. Maybe, maybe not.

It was a quick and easy dessert...nothing like my cinnamon roll recipe but WAY quicker! Here's a pic on the Winnie-the-Pooh plate that is approaching 13 this year...

This recipe links to the Grocery Cart Challenge Recipe Swap Friday!

0 comments: