Friday, May 1, 2009

Pets on the Brain

As you can probably see I’ve totally got pets on the brain.

I posted over at PJs about our dabbling into veterinary science.

And now the pets have even taken over my recipes for today!

If you’re wondering why you can go here and see pics of my new babies. I’m trying to get through this blog without another pic of them.

In our frugal pet quest, I found great resources through this blog entry from Gayle at The Grocery Cart Challenge and this inspired me to attempt some of these recipes.

The puppies got a bath on their first full day as members of our club. However, I think this caused some skin irritation so we gave them a Lemon Bath to help with the itching. They didn’t start scratching until after the first bath, but we were concerned about fleas as well. So we gave them a Rosemary Flea Rinse.

Lemon Bath
Thinly slice one lemon, bring one pint of water almost to a boil. Remove from heat, add lemon, cover, let steep overnight. Sponge onto puppy, starting at head (but not near eyes or ears).

Rosemary Flea Rinse
Same directions as above, only add one Tbsp of rosemary.
This has significantly reduced the amount of scratching we’re seeing so hopefully it’s working!

Now here’s a couple of recipes I’m planning on trying out next week. I’m not sure yet whether this will be the most frugal option or not but I’m sure it’ll be a treat for the little pups. I think my girls will get a kick out of making homemade doggie treats!

Puppy Meatloaf

Tons of Dog Treat Recipes

For some really tasty PEOPLE food...head on over to the Grocery Cart Challenge's Recipe Swap Friday and join in!




0 comments: